Thursday, September 30, 2010

Riding Closed Loops & CDTA

I can honestly say that I am not one of the biggest fans of the Capital District Transportation Authority.






Since moving to Albany in August, I have done my best to be a responsible citizen and have taken advantage of my status as a student at SUNY Albany in order to access free bus transportation around Albs via CDTA.  Actually, in deciding to move to Albany, a choice was made.  I knew that if I got an apartment here instead of living at home, I would not have access to a vehicle and would therefore be left to find my own way to-and-from UAlbany.  Now, when I made this decision, I didn't exactly factor in the schedule, total loss in travel time, and...Albany CrossFit.


I do have my mother's car at my disposal for a few more months, but the last two days I have gone without using it even once.  I have gotten to school on time on the 12, made the trip successfully from UA to Albany CrossFit via the 90, and made it home safe on the 1.  After experimenting for a few weeks, I now know that I can get to where I need to be.  The only part I think I'll need to work on is my patience.


Since not too many people take advantage of the system, the bus times for me to get from Sand Creek Rd. to Lark run every half hour.  So if I get out of a workout late and miss the 7:05 or 7:09 or whatever the time is...I have to wait an extra half hour.  An extra half hour before I shower.  An extra half hour before I eat.  But you know what?  It's humbling.  I'm showing the world that I'm not going to let a motor vehicle (or lake thereof) hold me back in doing what is good for me.  I can still get to the grocery store.  I can still get to school, work, and the gym.  It just takes a little scheduling and creating my "loop."  And as long as I don't get stuck in an infinite loop, I think I'll be okay.


UPDATE FROM LAST POST:


The next workout I had on Tuesday was rough (Kettlebells and Burpees), and Wednesday was even rougher (Tuck Jumps, Toes to Bar, Deadlift).  Deadlifts are definitely a "suck" of mine.  Actually, any Oly lift from the ground is a suck for me.  My lower back is in bad condition from years of hunching over to cover up my rolls and from having desk jobs and being a student.  Definitely something to work on.  But today we did 5-5-5-5-5 Back Squats and I hit a PR!  185, woot!  Gotta go for 200lb next time.  Tomorrow's my rest day before the 5K on Saturday.  Can't wait to see how much I improve on my time!


Later, skaters.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment