Sunday, September 19, 2010

Properties of N(x)

The first thing you want to understand about a function is its properties.  What does it look like?  Where is it defined?  Undefined?  How does adding or multiplying change its shape?  These are all great questions to think about when trying to assess where you are in life, and where you are looking to go.

My name is Nick.  And I'm a mathematician.  Well, sort of.

In August 2010, I moved from my hometown of Ravena, NY to make it in the big city.  I mean, moderately-sized city.  Okay...Smallbany.  And as I moved my boxes and furniture into my apartment on State and Lark, I realized that this was the perfect time to make a change in my life.  It is pivot points like starting a new job and moving to a new city that can be the greatest catalyst toward achieving our life goals.  Moving into a place on my own, without the excuse of "I'm in college" to hold me back, it gave me a sense of ownership and responsibility.  It was time to start taking care of myself and treat my body and mind the way it should be treated.  No more laying on the couch for hours at a time.  No more 3-night drinking escapades with Chinese food to follow the morning after.  No longer would I go to the gym only to do cardio and use the machines for ten minutes (if that).

This is what prompted me to start my journey into the world of CrossFit.  If you know me, and I haven't told you about CrossFit, I'm surprised.  I probably talk about it more than I should (for those CrossFitters out there, it kind of comes with the territory, right?).  I learned about CrossFit by chance, and by chance I mean Facebook stalking.  I did some Google magic, and learned a little bit about what the deal was.  Here's a blurb from Wikipedia:


CrossFit has been "variously portrayed as a fitness company, a grassroots health movement, a nascent sport, a fad, a publishing business and sometimes, disparagingly, a cult." Classes at affiliated gyms typically include a warm-up, a skill development segment, and a high-intensity workout that lasts around ten to twenty minutes. Affiliates create a new workout each day called the "Workout of the Day" or "WOD."

CrossFit prides itself on its varied workouts, and as someone who went to the gym and did the same boring thing every time until I just decided it wasn't even worth going anymore, I appreciated that.  I went for a free trial and met Jason (the owner of Albany CrossFit) and Caleb, who gracefully showed me the ropes.  After one day I was completely hooked.  The first workout made me feel awful while I was doing it (I think it was a few rounds of kettlebell swings, box jumps, and pushups for time).  But I felt absolutely amazing after leaving the Court Club that day.  And I knew I had to do this.  For me and for my body.

What ensued was a crash-course into CrossFit, as well as the Paleo diet.  We'll save nutrition for another post, as Austin has gotten me "in the Zone."  After three days, my body was aching.  Throbbing.  But I felt more energetic and healthy than I had in months, maybe years.  I didn't need caffeine.  My energy was coming from being active and getting the best sleep of my life after those lessons.  Once I started going to regular WODs, I would (and still do) scour the Albany CrossFit website to see what the next day's challenge would be.  Every day I go in, I face the WOD with passion and intensity.  The same passion and intensity that I want to put into my career as a mathematician.  And the best thing about it is the community:  when I finish a WOD, I root the next person on and help them get through it.  If I'm having a tough time, they do the same for me.

So, I may have failed to mention that I'm still a student.  I'm attending the University at Albany and am on my way to getting my PhD in Mathematics.  It's not going to be easy, juggling my math career and nutrition and fitness and still having time for friends and family, but it will definitely be worth all of the effort.  It's true that we should put mind over matter.  But matter still matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment